Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tart apples, such as Gravensteins
- 2 small bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put the lemon juice in a large bowl. Cut one of the apples in half, core it, and julienne it. Put the cut apple in the bowl and toss it with the lemon juice to keep it from browning. Repeat with the other apples.
- Toss in all the remaining ingredients. Let stand for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
From Fine Cooking in Season, from the editors of Fine Cooking (Taunton Press, 2011)