- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- 3 cups cold cooked rice (from 1 cup uncooked rice), preferably brown rice
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- If the carrots are large, cut them in half lengthwise. Cut into very thin slices, or shred on the coarse side of the grater into a large bowl. Add celery, scallions, parsley and cooked rice. Do not mix yet! Finely grate the lemon zest (yellow part of the rind – do not grate into the bitter white pith beneath) into the bowl, and add the lemon juice.
- Add the oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything together gently but thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving.