- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or curry powder, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put the drained chickpeas in a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher or the back of a heavy spoon until broken down but still a bit chunky. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to coat the bottom.
- Add the onion, carrots, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin or curry powder. Cook, stirring often, for 2 more minutes. Add the mixture to the mashed chickpeas.
- Add the parsley and the black pepper to the bowl. Mix all together until well combined. Form four 1-inch thick burgers from the mixture.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and return to medium heat. Add the burgers. Cook, turning once, until golden brown and heated through, about 4 minutes on each side.