Makes 6 servings
- 1 ¾ cups canned vegetable broth
- 5 cups water
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a pan over high heat, bring the broth, water, potatoes, leeks, apple, curry powder, lemon juice, and cumin to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook until the vegetables are very tender – about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup, in batches, if necessary, to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Reheat as needed.
- To serve, ladle into individual bowls. Top each with an equal amount of the parsley.
– From The Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook (Time-Life Books, 1998)