- 1 baguette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and lots of fresh ground pepper
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped, reserving juices
- 6-10 green or black olives pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced fine
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced fine
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Fragrant and fruity olive oil for drizzling
- 1/3 c fresh Parmesan cheese shavings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut baguette in half lengthwise, and each half into slices just over 1/2 inch thick
- Toss bread pieces with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet.
- Cook, turning bread pieces once or twice until well browned, about 12 minutes. Put browned bread in large bowl. Add the tomatoes and their juice, olives, garlic, herbs and vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss until bread is well moistened by tomato juices. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add parmesan shavings, another drizzle of oil and serve.