For The Salad:
- Fresh lettuce (rinsed thoroughly and patted dry), torn into bite-sized pieces (about 6 cups)
- Fresh chive blossoms for garnish (optional)
For The Dressing:
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- Add the eggs and cook for 1 minute, then drain them immediately, and crack the eggs into the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard to the eggs and process until smooth.
- With the motor, add both oils in a slow, steady stream, processing until all of the oil is emulsified and the consistency is similar to mayonnaise.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
- Place the lettuce in a large serving bowl, and toss with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dressing. Garnish with chive blossoms if you’d like and serve immediately.
From Seasonal Recipes From the Garden by P. Allen Smith (Clarkson Potter, 2010).